Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Story Grammar Prompts (Product Swap)

Hi Everyone!

It's no secret how I feel about Story Grammar Marker, by Mindwing Concepts. Nothing makes me happier than finding new ways to teach story grammar concepts and find ways to track the students' data. Several weeks ago, I got the opportunity to take a look at Abby from School House Talk's Story Grammar Prompts download. Since then, I've been using the different activities with several of my therapy groups. Abby was kind enough to provide me a copy of the download for review, but the following opinions are all mine:



First of all, I LOVE that she has sample goals and the Common Core State Standards that apply to SGM. This is such a great reference, and it is so wonderful to have readily available when administration wants to see evidence of the specific CCSS that you're working on! 



 Next, the packet includes great data sheets for story retell, story generation, or personal narratives. One of the data sheets has 10 questions on it, asking things like "Was the character included?" Instead of filling this out on my students, I had my older students fill it out on themselves. This is another fabulous tool for your administration to see. In my district, they want to know that the students not only know what their goals are, but that they are tracking their own progress. This enabled my students to see specifically the story elements that their story retell or story generation was lacking. We highlighted what they forgot to include, and compared data sheets across several sessions for them to visibly see their improvement. Additionally, the download includes a great grade level reference, which shows the expected story grammar level and expectations by each grade level. This is another page I showed my older students. I wanted them to know what grade level they were on, and strive to move beyond where they were when they started.


The next data sheet is probably my favorite part of the entire packet. Actually, I've had "make a daily data checklist for SGM" on my To-Do list for a few months now. Thankfully, Abby did it for me! While it's great to have individual data sheets for story retells, I really needed a sheet that I could use to track data across multiple sessions. On this sheet, you can simply put the date on the top and check off what the student included in their story retell that day. There is a place at the bottom to figure out the percentage, which makes tracking data and tracking individual story elements that are included or not a breeze!

Also included in the packet are great whole-page visuals with adorable pictures to explain the different story elements to the students. These are really cute and great for hanging around your room for easy reference. There are also a few additional worksheets for the students to use to draw and write their story retells.




Abby also made adorable dice templates for story generation prompts. They are really easy to cut out and glue together, and my students adored them. They took turns rolling (or throwing) the dice, and whatever pictures they landed on had to be incorporated into their stories. We used the SGM story braid to help them remember the different elements that needed to be included.



In this story, a superhero was sitting on the beach on the 4th of July, when all of a sudden, he saw a plane nose-diving into the ocean. The superhero was worried that people would be hurt, so he made a plan to save the people.He flew into the sky, grabbed the tail of the plane, and gently lowered it into the ocean. Then he swam inside and helped the people to shore. The people were all very thankful that the superhero saved them, and the superhero was relieved that he was there to help.


In this story, a clown was walking alone in a garden at night, when an angry pirate with a sword jumped out to rob him. The clown felt afraid, so he wanted to get to safety. The clown pointed behind the pirate and said, "Look!" The pirate fell for the trick and when he looked behind him, the clown ran into a nearby house and locked the door. The clown was safe and was relieved that the angry pirate did not hurt him or steal his money.
As you can see, these prompts are adorable and the different combinations are limitless!

Finally, there are several pages of QR codes with generators for the different story elements. I'm sure you guys know by now that for whatever reason, kids are pretty much obsessed with QR codes these days. Like everyone else, my students flipped out (in a good way) over them! They have never wanted to keep telling stories after the therapy session was over, but they did when I brought out the dice and QR codes!

Overall, I definitely recommend this packet! It works so wonderfully with SGM (which I use in pretty much every therapy session), and the data sheets and CCSS/goal reference sheets are so nice to have at your fingertips. You can get your own copy of Story Grammar Prompts here. And Abby has lots of other great products in her TPT store as well. Be sure to check them out! You can also find Abby from School House Talk here:

Twitter: @SchoolhouseBlog
Instagram: @schoolhousetalk

Stop back in soon to see what else we've been up to this week!

Whitney :)
 


1 comment:

  1. Haha, I love the stories your students came up with using the dice! And great ideas to use the data sheets for students to track themselves and to show administration. Thank you for your review :)

    Abby
    Schoolhouse Talk!

    ReplyDelete