Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Weekly Wrap-Up: Batty for Phonological Awareness and Witchy Crafts

Happy Thursday night!

We have a professional development day tomorrow, so there's no therapy. I get to spend the day trying to play catch up, since I'm trying really hard to not bring work home with me anymore. I'm much too busy playing with this bundle of joy:


 I have several students who really need help with phonological awareness, and these posters from Lakeshore Learning really come in handy. See the word on the top left? Follow me on Instagram (@whitneyslp) to see the sentence the student gave me as an explanation of word meaning!

 We used Jenn at Crazy Speech World's Witchy Craftivity this week. I absolutely loved that I could modify this activity to use with every single group I have. Even my 5th graders loved it. For the non-writers, we drew pictures. For my speech groups, they used the "My Spell" page to list items a witch would use to cast a spell or make a potion, with their speech sounds, of course! Oh-and we read "Room on the Broom," which was a perfect fit for this craft! You can see Jenn's post about the craftivity by clicking HERE.

 This is BY FAR my favorite witchy face! Check back next week to see more examples. I love that some kids naturally made nice witches, and some made mean ones!

Finally, I had to do a little work in the organizational department, and went through my markers to cull the ones that were dried out. Am I the only one who obsesses over this?!?!?!


Next week in therapy, we're finishing our witch crafts, checking out the Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat, and using my Halloween activities to target our specific goals. After my work day tomorrow, we're off to GA for a weekend visit!





1 comment:

  1. Isn't it funny to watch what the witch personality will be for each student?? That may have been my fave part of this whole thing! Thank you so much for the shout out! You rock!!!!!

    ReplyDelete