Monday, February 18, 2013

Valentine's Day in the Speech Room!

Ok...so I'm waaaayyy behind on my blogging....news flash to me: pregnancy is HARD! But now that I'm finally into my second trimester and I have a little more energy now, I'm going to try and increase my output again!

So this past week we worked on our speech and language goals while celebrating Valentine's Day! I used Jenn @ Crazy Speech World's unit on "There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Rose!"  My kid's adore the Old Lady books, and Jenn's activities were wonderful companions to the book!

My kindergarten, first grade, and Autism classrooms used the visuals to help retell the story. Each student LOVED making their own mini books to take home to show their families as well. The older grades used the Venn Diagram compare and contrast page to examine the similarities and differences between the Old Lady Swallowed a Rose and the Old Lady Swallowed Some Snow. And all of the speech groups enjoyed using the Speech worksheet to find words from the story that contained their sound. Jenn does a wonderful job with all of her Old Lady units...The kids love them, and having them makes my life soooo much easier! Thanks so much, Jenn!



I'll be back soon with a great app review and a giveaway! As always, thanks so much for all of your support...you guys ROCK!

Whitney :)


7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out, girlie! I am so happy to hear your kiddos liked it! Mine also love those mini books :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and P.S. whoever said pregnancy was easy LIED! It was probably a boy anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be right! I never thought it would be a walk in the park...I just didn't think it would be a full-sprint marathon!

      Delete
  3. I'm in my second trimester now too and I have so much more energy for my blog lately!!! When are you due? ~Ms. Lane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! Everyone keeps telling me the 2nd trimester is the best. I'm due mid August. You?

      Delete
  4. Love your blog, Whitney. I'm a special ed teacher who specializes in working with kids with communication disorders. The SLP at my school and I co-teach frequently and co-write a blog. I'd love to add you to our blogroll. If you want to check us out and let me know if that is ok with you I would love it! http://www.speech-specialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelley! Sorry for the late reply...I've been under the weather lately! Thanks so much! I would love to be added to your blogroll. I have "add blogroll" to my to-do list, so when I get it up and running, I'll add you guys as well. In the meantime, your blog is now on my "favorites" list, so I can follow you guys more closely! Thanks again

      Delete