Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Donors Choose = Awesome!

Happy Tuesday! I'm currently at a CPI training, but took the hour long lunch break to do a little work! I wanted to take a quick break from the Halloween/Fall posts and let you know about a great opportunity for teachers/SLPs! If you haven't already heard, Donorschoose.org is an online grant opportunity for teachers. You can create projects for your class and request specific materials (books, headphones, rugs, etc.) that you need, and generous donors all over the country will give money to help you complete your projects. I started a project requesting over $600.00 worth of books over the summer, and a few weeks ago, I was notified that my project was fully funded! How excited was I to have a HUGE box full of books I specifically chose for different groups of children delivered to my school! DonorsChoose has also been featured on several big shows, such as Oprah. It is a wonderful way for teachers to get the materials they need, and for people to see exactly where their tax-deductible gifts are going...back to the children!

Have you requested any projects on DonorsChoose? Have you ever given to any DonorsChoose projects? If you haven't, I highly recommend doing both!



3 comments:

  1. Hi Whitney! Thank you SO much for sharing this website! After I read this post I created my own project on Donors Choose http://www.donorschoose.org/we-teach/1605906.-1743703340. What helped you the most in getting your project funded? I am open to any tips you can give! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm so glad you found the information helpful! I'm a big supporter of Donor's Choose! I sent out the link to my project on my blog, facebook page, and to friends and family over email, but everyone who have to my project were random strangers all across the country (literally from California to New York!) They just happened upon my project and were nice enough to give. I was planning on asking family members to donate to my project as my Christmas present this year, but I didn't even have to ask them! I was very blessed. I plan on doing another project soon! Good luck! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the advice! Sent an e-mail out to my friends and family and my project was fully funded in just 1 week! So excited!

    ReplyDelete